DaveWentzel.com All Things Data
Performance Management Home
When I worked in Performance Management I wrote some articles that I thought were cool regarding the topics.
When under load, every system has a bottleneck that affects performance. As utilization nears 100% other factors provide back pressure. Everything slows down due to the bottleneck. Fix one bottleneck and soon another will pop up.
In a perfect world the CPU is the last bottleneck.
How do you find a bottleneck? Look for the longest q's and response times.
Database scalability is limited by the throughput of the transaction log.
Instance scalability is limited by shared process level resources (memory, etc)
Server scalability is limited by shared server level resources (network, CPU).
- Confidence Intervals and understanding the quality of LoadRunner Data
- Detecting Stability Issues While Load Testing
- Queuing Theory and Knee of the Curve
- An excellent article on using PerfMon
- IIS Performance Page
- SQL Server Performance Page